Hainanese Chicken Rice
Hainanese Chicken Rice consists of the cooked chicken, the ginger sauce, and the rice. The best type of chicken to buy is a free range chicken from an Asian market where the chicken itself has the head and claws still with it. The chicken has less meat, but is more flavorful.
Many different ethnicities have their own versions of the dish ranging from Chinese, Vietnamese, and Singaporean styles.
- Green Onions
- Whole chicken
- Olive Oil
- Peel the ginger skin with the back of as poon
- Grate the ginger and discard the ginger juice
- Chop green onions finely
- Combine mixture and add salt
- Heat up oil until very hot and pour into the mixture
- Cut off the head with scissors
- Trim the nails of the chicken with scissors
- Rinse the chicken thoroughly
- Get the largest stock pot you can and bring the water to boil.
- Add a couple slices of ginger the pot as well as a green onion
- Drop the temperature to medium
- Submerge the chicken into the stock holding the chicken neck.
- Plunge the chicken a couple times into the water letting water enter the neck cavity
- Get a ladle and pour water through the cavity of the chicken
- Turn off the heat, and put a lid on the stock pot.
- Let the chicken cook in the stock pot for 2 hours.
- Sauce rice with a little bit of garlic and olive oil for 2 minutes
- Cook rice in a rice cooker with the stock where the chicken was cooking (after it is done cooking)
- Take the chicken out of the stock pot and let cool for 20 minutes
- Debone and put on a plate
- Season with salt
- Serve with rice, ginger sauce, and a bowl of chicken stock.